Okay, so a little disclaimer here before we get started – these are just my opinion… taken and formed from my blog designing experience this past year and a half, and some things I’ve picked up along the way. Please take them with a grain of salt, and keep doing what you know is best for your blog :) xo
I have this obsession with lists, and have this crazy idea for a list of things and ideas that can make your blog, in short… awesome.
In long… more reader-friendly, more appealing, less cluttered, and for those power bloggers out there- more professional.
Today I’m kicking off this series with something I feel pretty strongly about…
What is a favicon you say? It’s the little symbol right next to your web address, on the left. See the cute little pink bird? That’s mine :)
Favicons are a great way for your blog to look less like a blog, and more like a website. It also helps brand your site, business and name.
It’s always been possible to insert favicons into the Blogger templates but now Blogger has made it, well SO much easier for designers… and you :)
Some tips on designing a favicon:
- It is best to go for bolder, thicker fonts if using text
- If you are going with text one or two letters will suffice
- Leave out complex swirls or designs – in reality your favicon is 16×16 pixels, about half the size of the nail on your pinky finger- itty bitty. Simple is better.
- Think about what symbol, font or letter you want people to associate as you, your business and site
- Use one or two colors
- Making the favicon on a square canvas will be the easiest way to make sure it fits correctly
- Save it in a JPEG or PNG format
You can design your favicon using Photoshop, GIMP, Paint or any photo-editing program.
And to add your favicon onto your blog…
1. Once your favicon is designed, resize it to 16x 16 pixels and Save.
2. Login to your Blogger dashboard and click “Design” under your blog. See the favicon spot on the top left-hand corner?
3. Click “Edit” next to the word “Favicon” and upload your favicon.
4. Save your changes once it uploads and enjoy the snazzy new addition to your blog design! :)
Questions? Comments? I’d love to hear if you tried it out :)
Be sure to check back tomorrow for part 2 of Things That Will Make Your Blog AWESOME! ;)