October 15th Remembrance Ribbons Tutorial

I’m SO excited to share this little ribbon idea from last year with you! They are a great way to raise money for any charity you might be running or an event. And umm… a little birdie told me there will be another tutorial coming up for these. They also make a great fundraiser, if you’re crafty and love tulle. ;)

So here we go…

Gather your supplies: {get ready, these babies need a ton of stuff}

- scissors
- 1/2″ OR 1/4″ ribbon {teal OR blue ribbon - I’m a teal gal, but it’s up to you + pink ribbon}
- glue gun + a bunch of glue sticks {clear works best}
- needle + white thread
- safety pins for brooches – can be purchased at your local craft store
- small pearl-like beads – can be found in the jewelry department
-fabric strips in pink, teal OR blue, and white 2″ x 24″

Step 1: Warm up your glue gun

Step 2: Cut your ribbon about 8-12″ long {just depends on how big or small you would like your ribbons to be}

Step 3: Fold over your ribbon over and place drops of glue to secure ribbon into position. And be careful, this is where I almost regretted ever making them. Lots and lots of burned fingertips! >>OUCH<<

sidenote… fabric glue works great too, but a glue gun is… quicker? :)

Step 4: Place ribbon down to dry once the folded ribbon has been secured.

Step 5: Thread your needle and tie a double knot at the end of your thread. Place it aside for now.

Step 6: Begin the rosette by wrapping the fabric strip loosely around your thumb.

Step 7: Once you have wrapped the fabric around your thumb a few times remove it, tighten it a little. Begin twisting the fabric while wrapping it around and around. It’s okay if it looks a little messy at this point.

Step 8: When you are finished wrapping the fabric around, many times the back side of the rosette looks better so be sure to check both sides to make sure you get the prettiest side of the rosette to face outwards.

Step 9: Pick up your threaded needle and begin sewing through the backside of the rosette to secure the rosette.

Try to go through as many layers as possible to ensure that no fabric comes undone when the ribbon is worn.

sidenote: you can also use fabric glue or the glue gun for to secure the rosette, so you might see which option works best for you

Step 10: When you have secured the rosette be sure to tie a knot at the end of the thread and cut any remaining strings.

Step 11: Fasten rosette onto the crossing part of the ribbon with the glue gun, and hold down for a brief moment.

Step 12: Glue pearl bead in the center of the rosette. Press down to ‘flatten’ the rosette a bit.

Step 13: Lastly place a brooch pin on the backside to wear as a pendant.

A few more ways to use the ribbons:

- magnets

- to decorate memory boxes

- as gifts inside memory boxes

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Let me know if you tried it or are thinking about trying it!!! :)

XOXO

Comments

Jamie says:

Love this! They are beautiful!

Holly says:

Thanks a bunch for the tutorial!

Shayla says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial, these are the cutest remembrance ribbons i’ve seen!! I do believer I will be making a bunch and selling them to raise money for our non-profit, Owl Love You Forever.

Molly Ebach says:

These are great! We are having “A Walk to Remember” in reconition of Awareness month and would looooove to have those ribbons to give to some of our mommies!

Merle says:

I can’t wait to make some for the Walk to Remeber!!

Stephanie Desjarlais says:

I had the same thought. I will be attending a Walk To Remember as well and thought it would be nice to give these out as little surprises. I’m sure there will be newbies out there that don’t have any kind of ribbon to wear and they would appreciate these a lot!!

You work is wonderful. We would use the extra’s to get donations for our hospitals in Los Angeles County. We have 80+ hositals in our county and as you know all support is helpful. With October 15th shortly approaching there is so much to be done. Just yesterday I got a call from a “new mother” that is the one hard part about my job. Knowing that year after year there will be new families to our club that no one really wants to join but after knows they are happy they found us.

Thank you for all you do Fran.

Fran, I make Caps for NILDTS and hats for the NICU here as well. I lost Collins 4 months ago. I’d love these ribbons to raise awareness in our NICU for BLM. I am also going to be working with the neo who took care of our sweet boy to develop a grief group for parents like us. Thanks for the consideration! All of the causes here are simply wonderful!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!!!!

Beryl says:

Fran!! I would love to feature these in photos and words over on the illuminate site. So lovely. Xoxo. You do amazing work.thanks for the tutorial!

We donate teddy bears & hats to our local hospital for anyone who faces a loss of a baby

Ii’m a baby loss Mom myself, but honestly I would give this ribbon to my friend Carolyn, who on 9/20/11 went to her 34 week ob appointment only to discover that one of her twin girls had died in her womb. Both girls were delivered by c-section a few hours later. The funeral for baby m is tomorrow, while baby I fights for her life in the NICU. Pre-eclampsia strikes again. :(

Thank you for the tutorial!

Deanna says:

Oh these are lovely!
    I would love to try and make them, someday! maybe next year…
    I would love to share these with our River’s Rally supporters as many of them are BLMs.
    Just beautiful, as always!

Brigette says:

How lovely thanks for sharing!!! Kaels angel date is oct.4th we will be donating memory boxes to the hospital where he was born. Id love to include these.

Sheryl Rexrode says:

I lost my son, at 20 weeks, last March. Since then, I have been making small blankets to give to my local hospital to help comfort families who lose their babies too early. I am interested in sharing the ribbons to help put together more mementos for those families.

mayra cisneros says:

Oh wow i love it thank you for sharing it..when i make another donation to nicu i will make some for donation

Betty Jackson says:

This are adorable! I would love to learn how to make them for our local memorial event, Annabelle’s hope and hearts. It would be a great thing to make for everyone to wear.

Obviously they will have to be for next year. LoL! No way I could make enough by this weekend!

Liz says:

These are so cool! Maybe I’ll make a whole bunch of them and donate them to Molly Bears. This way ever bear comes with a ribbon. And just in case anyone doesnt know what Molly Bears is they are weighted teddy bears (to your childs weight when they pass away or still born) and they are awesome! I have a perfect 5 pound 4 oz bear for Eli.