Flying Lessons

If you look out from my backyard you’d see this awful looking tower. But I’ve grown to somewhat like this tower. From time to time I see a large bird flying around it, landing and staying awhile. My guess is it’s nest must be up there somewhere.

The other day I could have sworn I saw a mama bird giving flying lessons to her baby bird right next to this tower. They took off from this tower, and the flying lessons began.

She and the smaller bird would be flying close together, she’d wrap around and then hover right underneath the smaller bird. When this would happen it looked like one bird (you couldn’t see the smaller bird on top). They would then separate… the mama would fly a little bit away again, and the smaller bird would fly, begin to fall… and she’d scoop him up again.

I watched in utter amazement.

Watching the mama bird and this baby bird made me think of Jenna. Birds are kind of her thing. So this made my heart swell with tears and joy.

Thinking of how much I would have loved the chance to teach her to spread her wings… and fly. Encourage her to chase her dreams, and become a beautiful young lady.

But really, more than anything I love little moments like this. The little moments that come so unexpectedly and so out of the blue. Little moments that make heaven feel just inches away, for even a short while.

Even tears can be healing.

That mama bird will never know the sweet moment she gave me, getting to witness something so precious.

Comments

Carly says:

This just warmed my heart Franchesca. Love you girl x

Janie says:

It is so important to stop and look at the world around you every now and then. Imagine how many more of those precious moments we could witness if we would stop and open our eyes more often. I could really picture the flying lesson that you saw! Thank you so much for sharing and reminding me to stop and look at the beautiful little things that happen all around us!

Xx Janie

Stefanie says:

That is beautiful Fran. I glad you were able to witness that. What an experience!
    Stefanie recently posted..I need to tell you something…My Profile

Katrina Garcia says:

this story reminded me of this verse :

Psalm 91:4(NIV)
    He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

I love how the mama bird was protecting its young. I truly believe acting in this way is showing how God loves and protects us!

garcia.katrinai@gmail.com

Jamie says:

Beautiful post. I love when we’re sent little God glimpses like this. It can totally change my day.

Nneka says:

It’s amazing after loss the things that we once never noticed seems to awaken all of our senses. Colors seem so much more vibrant and nature more beautiful than I noticed before. I would have loved to watch the mother bird teaching her babies to fly. Then, in the blink of an eye they will fly away and begin their own lives.

Thank you so very much for your blogs.
    Hugs, Love & Rainbows!!!
    N.

Mary_M says:

Precious. What a tender moment–in so many ways. Thank you for sharing. XO

Betsy says:

That story is magical, inspiring, heartwarming, and beautiful!
    I love it.